Constructability is defined by the Construction Industry Institute as "the optimum
use of construction knowledge and experience in planning, design, procurement, and
field operations to achieve overall project objectives".
Constructability should be coordinated by the Company’s designated “champion” group.
They would report to to the Project Manager, Construction Manager or Technical Services/
The Constructability team would have available to them an extensive computer database
which includes constructability information. There would also contain a Lessons Learned
Process providing a broad range of information from past projects.
The Project Manager is responsible to:
• Create a project environment emphasizing constructability from the beginning of
• Assign a person responsible for constructability (on small projects, this person
may have additional responsibilities). The individual or team responsible for Constructability
hereinafter referred to as the "Project Constructability Coordinator".
• Follow-up on a routine basis to ensure that constructability concepts have been
identified and addressed.
The project Constructability Coordinator will proactively:
• Develop a Constructability Program for the project.
• Prepare Constructability procedures.
• Participate in First Planner planning.
• Prepare a path of construction (or coordinate with the Project Planner).
• Review project specifications for undesirable impact on safety and construction.
• Review and input to project risk register.
• Coordinate safety and constructability with third party partners.
• Participate in Engineering Discipline Review Meetings to assist in developing a
safe and cost/ schedule effective design.
• Participate in engineering coordination meetings to ensure that safety and construction
requirements are addressed.
• Review each update of the Project Schedule for Constructability issues.
• Review engineering documents prior to each major milestone issue.
• Participate in development of the Traffic plan for equipment & materials transport.
• Prepare/ participate in rigging studies.
• Review the subcontract plan, split of work and scope of work package.